[mythtv-users] searching dialog then player abort after BE migration

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 03:11:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:48:00PM +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 06/01/12 03:12, Matt Garman wrote:
> > So, now, in summary, after the BE migration, very few recordings
> > (say 10%) are viable in MythTV.  The rest are either tiny files
> > and have no data, or have bad seek behavior (but play fine in an
> > external player).
>
> Lastly, there are numerous reports on the list about the quality -
> or otherwise - of HDHR power supplies, causing the receiver to
> appear to fail. The symptoms you describe appear to confirm this.
> It seems you can get the PSU changed out by the maufacturer at
> little or no cost: another HDHR user can probably better advise
> you.

Thanks for the suggestions and info!

I did a little research on the HDHR power supply issue you
mentioned.  I found a few reports where people mentioned the exact
model number of their HDHR/power supply that had issues, and mine
didn't match any of those reports.  Also, I saw some people
mentioning obvious external signs of a problem: flashing lights on
the HDHR and/or power supply; I saw another case where somone said
their power supply casing was clearly warped from a leaking
capacitor.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but my HDHR is quite old,
possibly from one of the original batches.  But it's worked fine for
all the years I've had it, and there were no obvious external
indicators of a problem (i.e. no wacky flashing lights, power supply
casing was perfectly intact and not hot or anything).  But I did
power cycle the unit (unplug it for about 30 seconds, then plug it
back in).

Second thing I did: I stopped mysqld on my frontend-only box (used
to be combind FE+BE).  I didn't realize that this was a requirement
until I read section 9.3 of the manual, where it says, complete with
a big red "STOP" icon: "NOTE: Slave backends *must not* run a local
MySQL daemon."  D'oh!

After doing these two things---so far, for the last two or three
days---all recordings seem good.

One final note for posterity, for anyone else who splits their
combined FE+BE into separate systems: my backend did not have wget
installed, which is needed by mythfilldatabase.  So my listings
weren't getting updated; easily remedied with "yum install -y wget".
FWIW, I'm using mythtv from ATrpms on CentOS 6.x.

I suspect that the biggest source of my problems was not disabling
mysql on the frontend.

Thanks again for the help,
Matt