[mythtv-users] SBE is "currently not connected instead" of "currently asleep"

Herman Gerritsen lfsmailing at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 21:57:24 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I am trying to create a mythtv setup with some energy conservation in
mind, but I trip over an disconnecting slave backend.

Setup:
I have two systems: (A) the HTPC next to the television and (B) the
recording server in the shed.
System A has the Masterbackend, mysql, and the Mythfrontend installed
(mythbuntu package mythtv-backend-master and mythtv-frontend)
System B is a slave backend (mythbuntu package mythtv-backend)

System A is used to view recorder videos from (the local) harddisk and
play optical disks without the need to power on all the dvb cards from
the recording slave backend. When livetv is selected from the frontend
the slave backend is supposed to boot (wol). When a scheduled
recording is about to start this system (A) should start using the
bios alarm.
System B is used to record livetv and should only be powered on when
needed, the remaining time is should be asleep.

Versions:
System A runs Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit Desktop), System B runs Ubuntu
10.04 (64-bit Server)
Both systems have this myth version (Mythbuntu):
MythTV Version   : v0.24.1-114-g4125a40
MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20110505-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
 linux profile using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput
using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_crystalhd using_directfb using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync
using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_mythtranscode
using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg

Current progress:
When I manually boot both systems everything works (watching live
television and scheduled recordings).
My next step was to have booting and shutting down of system B (the
slave backend) controlled by MythTV.

Therefore I have set the following shutdown/wakeup settings:
Idle timeout to 300 seconds
Startup before recording 1200 seconds
Command to set wakeuptime (left it blank because I want the slave
backend to start when the MBE or FE wants to, for as far as I
understand this setting is only for the MBE)

And the following Wake on lan settings for the SBE (setup from the
mythtv-setup on system B (the slave backend)):
wake command:  wakeonlan {MAC from system B}
Sleep command: sudo /sbin/halt -p

Problem:
When all systems are down and I only power on System A. The MBE sends
the magic packet to the broadcast address (WOL) which boots the Slave
backend.
The slave backend actually boots and concluding from the MBE logs the
SBE actually announces its availablility. The MBE discovers that the
SBE is not required at the moment and reacts within halve a second
with the goto sleep for the SBE. The SBE (concluding from the SBE
logs) runs it sleep command and powers down. When I look in mythweb
the SBE is "Currently disconnected" instead of the expected "Currently
asleep". Therefore the SBE is never switched on again. How can I get
the SBE in a "currently asleep" status?

Thanks for reading, I hope some one can give me a pointer to make this
work, since information about this seems sparse.

Greetings,
Herman