[mythtv-users] Updated ceton patch for 0.24

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Jan 8 02:12:08 UTC 2012

A while ago I rewrote my ceton patch to work in trunk. In doing so, I
was able to make a number of design changes to address bugs, increase
performance/reliability, and add new features. I have now backported
all of those changes to 0.24. I've been running this patch on my
production system all week, and it's been working great. Here are some
of the key changes that were made

1) Fixed some bugs that could cause the backend to hang if you tuned
an invalid channel (or if a channel was not broadcasting any data). If
you ever had to restart the backend because it said the tuner was
busy, even though it wasn't, this should fix that
2) You no longer need to run the channel mapper to configure the
channels if you have a cablecard installed. Simply letting
mythtv-setup or mythfilldatabase create the channels should be all
that is necessary.
3) In addition to the old method of reading from the /dev/ceton/*
device entries, you can also now use RTP/RTSP to stream the data. This
method can also be useful when the Ceton card is installed in another
system (as long as that system has the networks bridged so that the
Ceton is accessible externally).
4) Multiple Ceton cards can now be used, either using the direct
device entry method, or using RTP/RTSP.
5) Channel changing performance has been improved. Under normal
circumstances, this may not be noticable, or only slightly noticable.
However, under heavy loads some users previously experienced slow
channel changing. This should fix that.

The new patch is available here:
http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/0.24/index.html#CetonSupport

--