[mythtv-users] Mythbutu 11.04 -> 11.10 breaks X-server

R KANNAN rk111810 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 01:11:06 UTC 2012

Hello,

I had a working version of Mythbuntu 11.04 on my laptop and I gave in to
frequent suggestions from it to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.00 this afternoon.
Friday afternoon is not a good time to update. After installing the
updates, it restarted and I found that the X server is broke.

I can login to the consoles Alt-F1...Alt-F5 fine but the X server shows a
blank seen. The Myth backend seems to be running fine and so is Mythweb web
server (Apache). The file system seems OK but the X-display flashes for a
few times and there is a blank screen. I have tried..

init 3
init 5

to restart the X server with the same result.

I see an error message flash by just after grub but I cannot make out
anything. It switches then to purple splash screen before the flashing
followed by

I thought the update should not change the configuration files and so
should work as before.

Any ideas?

Thanks