[mythtv-users] Missing python bindings

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 06:03:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 1/3/2012 17:07, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
> > I've recently changed my build and runtime prefix for MythTV from
> > /usr/local/ to /mythbuild/new.  I have since done a make distclean
> > prior to rebuilding the myth binaries, the configure shows that the
> > python bindings will be included, and I have changed my LD_LIBARY_PATH
> > to point to /mythbuild/new/lib.  However, the python bindings seem to
> > be broken.
>
> Python does not follow convention with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, it just uses
> /lib out of convenience.  Use the PYTHONPATH variable to modify the
> module search paths.

Thank you, Raymond.  I added:

export PYTHONPATH=/mythbuild/new/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

to mythtv's .profile as well as to the startup scripts for both the
forntend and backend which seems to have fixed my problem.

Now that I know what I'm looking for (i.e. PYTHONPATH) I found several
references to it in the mail archives.  I thought I'd help out by looking
for the right place on the MythTV wiki to document this but I'm not sure
either

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/0.25_Python_Bindings

or
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/0.25_Python_Bindings/Upgrade_Guide

is the right place. Perhaps it should be discussed in the main
users/installation guide?  It appears to only bite one when one strays from
using /usr/local.  Is there no way to pick this up during the install when
the prefix and runprefix are defined?

Thanks again for the help,

-- Ken E.