[mythtv-users] Necessary to remove pulseaudio?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 3 02:18:53 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 06:45 PM, steve wrote:
> I have been trying to resolve stuttering issues with sound from hd
> recordings (via HDPVR). I recalled reading that PulseAudio (PA) has been
> known to cause problems with MythTV, so I uninstalled it. My sound went
> away completely. So I reinstalled it and the sound came back (plus
> stuttering).
>
> Consulting a couple of wiki pages about this, I find contradictory
> statements. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound says PA
> is "not supported by MythTV" and "For MythTV installations it is
> advisable to turn off any sound servers that sit on top of ALSA such as
> Pulse Audio or the KDE or Gnome sound servers."
>
> OTOH http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora#Sound_setup
> says "MythTV does work with Pulseaudio, however, if you wish to remove
> it, you can run the following command to revert to using ALSA only. yum
> remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio." When I run that command, yum says it's
> available but not installed.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> (1) Can MythTV coexist with PA or not? My video playback is configured
> to use ALSA:default, but it must be using PA in some way since
> uninstalling it broke the sound.
>
> (2) Could PA be the source of audio stuttering on playback? Latest
> description of symptoms is here *http://tinyurl.com/76s2nqs* (shortened
> Gossamer threads url)
>
> (3) If PA can't coexist with MythTV, what is the proper procedure for
> getting rid of it? Per the digital sound wiki, do I also have to disable
> the KDE sound server, and if so how is that done?

I've been using:
yum remove pulseaudio  \
         pavucontrol pulseaudio-utils pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf \
         gstreamer-plugins-pulse pulseaudio-core-libs \
         pulseaudio-libs-devel pulseaudio-module-zeroconf \
        pulseaudio-gdm-hooks pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

This leaves pulse-audio-libs, which I think is plugged in deeply into
the sound processing structure.

Make sure that you have all of the mixer settings set full 'ON' when you
test audio. It is really annoying to finally find out that the sound was
just turned down. Been there. No T-shirt. I use alsamixer-gui and then
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav to test.

Geoff