[mythtv-users] Easier way to reset live tv start channel?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 3 02:02:36 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 03:45 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

>> Does anyone have a better way to deal with this problem (and no,
>> avoiding live tv isn't a valid answer)? About the only thing I can
>> think of is to create a new menu entry in my menu theme (I use a
>> custom menu theme, so that's not an issue) which executes an external
>> script that modifies the database settings table directly and then
>> restarts the frontend. Not very elegant, but is there another option?
>>

> How about putting the SQL to do this in a script and tie the script to
> a menu item.

This script works for me:
***********************************
#!/bin/bash
#reset-channel: to poke a good value into startchan
#Two inputs: tuner to be re-set and channel to set to, defaults are allowed
if [ $1 = '' ];
then
   Tuner='5'
   Channel='43.1';
fi

if [ $1 = "-h" ];
then
   echo "With no command line arguments, will poke the mythconverg"
   echo "database to set digital tuner 5 to channel 43.1."
   echo "Or use two arguments <tuner> <channel>"
elif [ $1 != '' ];
then
   Tuner=$1;
fi

if [ $2 = '' ];
then
   Channel='43.1';
elif [ $2 != '' ];
then
   Channel=$2;
fi

#echo "     Tuner is set to Number "$Tuner
#echo "     Channel is set to "$Channel
echo "update cardinput set startchan = $Channel where cardid = $Tuner;"
 > tempfile
echo "exit" >> tempfile
mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < tempfile

rm -f tempfile

**********************************

I use the following stanza in my lircrc to stop/start mythfrontend if it
locks up. Call the above script something and amend the stanza.

Note that you will need to start irexec.
I use "/usr/bin/irexec -d /etc/lirc/lircrc" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, which
is run (still) by systemd on startup.

Lircrc stanza:

begin
     prog = irexec
     button = KEY_EXIT
     repeat = 5
     config = /usr/local/sbin/startfrontend.sh
end