[mythtv-users] Necessary to remove pulseaudio?

steve networks1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 2 23:45:24 UTC 2012

I have been trying to resolve stuttering issues with sound from hd
recordings (via HDPVR).  I recalled reading that PulseAudio (PA) has
been known to cause problems with MythTV, so I uninstalled it.  My sound
went away completely.  So I reinstalled it and the sound came back (plus
stuttering).

Consulting a couple of wiki pages about this, I find contradictory
statements.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound says
PA is "not supported by MythTV" and "For MythTV installations it is
advisable to turn off any sound servers that sit on top of ALSA such as
Pulse Audio or the KDE or Gnome sound servers."

OTOH http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora#Sound_setup
says "MythTV does work with Pulseaudio, however, if you wish to remove
it, you can run the following command to revert to using ALSA only.  yum
remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio."  When I run that command, yum says it's
available but not installed.

So my questions are:

(1) Can MythTV coexist with PA or not?  My video playback is configured
to use ALSA:default, but it must be using PA in some way since
uninstalling it broke the sound.

(2) Could PA be the source of audio stuttering on playback?  Latest
description of symptoms is here *http://tinyurl.com/76s2nqs* (shortened
Gossamer threads url)

(3) If PA can't coexist with MythTV, what is the proper procedure for
getting rid of it?  Per the digital sound wiki, do I also have to
disable the KDE sound server, and if so how is that done?

Cheers...Steve