[mythtv-users] Bad picture quality for HD on frontend

Sanjeev Verma sanjeev.x.verma at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 14:52:42 UTC 2012

Hi All:

I am a mythtv user for about 3 years now, love the system! Till about a
week ago, I had one ubuntu box that was working as my frontend and
backend, and every functionality is working perfectly on that box. I
recently built another Ubuntu box, and my intention is to have this work
as frontend only (no tuner). I have setup and configured this box and I
am able to browse my previous recordings on the backend box etc, but
when I try to play them, all HD content (720p and up) shows up grainy
and snowy (sound is ok). When attempting to watch live TV, I see the
same result, with the addition of frequent crashes.

I can view the recorded content on mplayer on the mythfrontend only box
and it looks perfectly ok.

I have a wired network, and since I am able to view the recordings on
the mythfrontend box using mplayer, I do not think it can be a network
issue.

It should not be the graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4600), as this was the
card on my original box that has myth frontend and backend, plus all my
other HD content works ok.

Please let me know if any additional information is needed, I will be
glad to provide.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sanjeev