[mythtv-users] Scheduler interrupts playback

Kane Tse kane.tse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 21:59:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Bob K Mertz <lists at bibleboy.org> wrote:
> On 2/28/12 4:27 PM, Kane Tse wrote:
>> I have seen hesitations like this as well, however, I usually soft-pad
>> my recordings by 5 minutes, so I tend to see them around the 8:35,
>> 9:05 etc. mark.  To me, this suggests it is occurring at the
>> conclusion end of a recording rather than the start of a new one.  I
>> have never thought to blame the scheduler, but rather a matter of disk
>> I/O.
>
> My hesitations don't occur in relation to scheduled recordings in my
> scenario.  The majority of the time only one live tv stream is active
> and no recordings are going on for the whole day.  FWIW this has
> happened to me with a PVR-150 as well as with HD HomeRun Prime.

I use an HD HomeRun (classic?) with a PVR-250, Firewire capture and
Hauppauge HD-PVR recordings.

>> Is anyone affected using VDPAU?  I do.
>
> I am not using VDPAU.  I wouldn't think that would make much of a
> difference since, from what I can tell, this is more of a backend issue.

I thought there might be contention for the bus between the HDD, video
card and CPU; but that might be specific to my own occurrences of
interrupted playback which coincided with ending recordings.  Don't
know if newer motherboards/chipsets are designed to minimize bus
contention issues these days.