[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Tue Feb 28 19:17:21 UTC 2012

On 19/02/12 13:15, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
>> Well it's good to know that it's not MythMusic that is broken :) You
>> might just have a bad build which will clear itself up if you update
>> again I believe the library version change or something like that was
>> causing a few problems.
> Yeah, I still think I'll wait until Mythbuntu 12.04.  I like to do fresh
> installs to get rid of any "cruft" from my experimentation in between
> upgrades.  It works out nicely that it and 0.25 will be coming out around
> the same time.
>
>>> I think I would still prefer an option to have the tree (whenever I
>>> can actually get it to work) simply display my folder hierarchy, though.
>> Well that currently isn't possible. While it would be relatively easy to
>> add another node to the tree that allowed that I think the consensus of
>> opinion was to encourage everyone to add sane metadata to there tracks
>> rather than rely on the tracks filename.
> That's the thing, I do have sane metadata in all my music.  I go to great
> lengths to make sure I do when I import it (which was a big time killer on
> the initial import).  However, my preference is to present my music by
> artist....mostly.  It tends to break down with "various artist" albums where
> you end up having some unknown session artist (say from a sound track) in
> the list with one song under their name.  I accommodated this by adding a
> "various artists" folder to my hierarchy and sanely organizing those types
> of albums in there.

I have a patch that adds a 'Compilations' node to the tree that only
shows tracks that have the compilation flag set. That way adding
compilation albums to the playlist is easy.

> I will say however, that after I got a better feel for how it works now in
> 0.25 while playing with it on my laptop, it's a vast improvement over what
> MythMusic has been.  One thing I wouldn't mind seeing (and it may be there
> and I missed it) is a way to navigate to a song in the tree and simply play
> it without having to go through all the playlist stuff.  For example, if I
> just want to listen to Kangaroo Cry by Blue October, rather than navigating
> to the album, selecting it, selecting "replace" to keep my selected list
> somewhat sane, then navigating to my selected list and playing it; what
> about just navigating to the album, song and pressing play?

In the search view you can press PLAY on a track and it will be added to
the playlist and played immediately or you can select the 'Add to
Playlist and Play' option in the popup menu. That should be added to the
playlist editor as well for consistency. The only reason I haven't done
it yet is because I don't like overloading the PLAY button like that. It
can be quite annoying if you go to pause playback but end up adding and
playing another track by mistake.

Paul H.