[mythtv-users] MCE usb remote receiver - a quick note for people with USB 3.0 MB's.

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Mon Feb 27 18:36:32 UTC 2012

I recently put a new front end together (most of the hardware specs were
posted previous if you happen to care about the details) - the case came
with a built-in display and ir receiver (based on the vlsystems mplay).
After much tinkering around I was able to get both  the display and the
receiver working (for those with a Moneual B320 case can e-mail for
info) but I found that the receiver had a *very* limited field of
view/range/sensitivity (or some combination thereof), and the experience
was greatly degrading the WAF.

I had a spare mceusb (Topseed) and another CommandIR unit kicking
around.  At the time the for one reason or another I initially used the
CommandIR unit which while better then the vlsystems receiver still had
a rather limited angle of reception.

So, I got out my *spare* mceusb unit (which was actually a unit I use on
my testing systems, so I guess I'll have to replace it - things we do
for the WAF) plugged it into a spare usb port on the back of the
machine, pulled my configuration files off a virtually identical system
(older hardware, but same software configuration (mceusb remote,
devinput, etc) rebooted and thought everything would work... should have
know better right.  After several hours of testing, beating the head of
the wall, etc I was about to give up - pulled the mceusb off another
frontend, plugged it into the front of the new machine and it worked.
Defective mceusb right?  No.  Turns out that all my spare ports on the
back on the new machine were usb 3.0 and for whatever reason, none of
the three mceusb units I have will work on these ports... they are
detected, lsub shows them, the right modules are loaded, but they don't
work.  Not sure what the issue is, but I thought I'd throw it out there
in case someone else runs into this.  I should probably investigate
further, but need to go out on the road and make some money, so, added
to the TODO list.

Cheers,

Andrew.