[mythtv-users] CPU for a frontend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 27 15:03:49 UTC 2012

On 02/26/2012 02:53 PM, William Otten wrote:
> On 2/26/2012 1:46 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

>>> Here are more examples of users only using the intel sandy bridge gpu
>>> with success and getting very good video quality.
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/501137
>>
>> Agreed. But at the moment there are still reports of glitches and
>> gotchas. But the required patches to mesa are working there way upstream
>> and the Intel code is getting better. At the moment, I would say the
>> *safe* course for the OP is to assume that he will use the GT430 and
>> hope that he will be able to remove it at some point in the future.
>> Note that *removing* the Nvidia blob requires some pre-planning as its
>> install routine *replaces* some libraries and *does NOT* save the
>> copies. Extract the bin file by running NVIDIA....bin -x and you can
>> read the install script to see which libraries it replaces. I keep
>> intending to write a script.....
>>
>> Then again, there is always the 'nuke it from orbit' re-install path...
>>
>> Geoff
>>
>> Well we all have opinions and several others and myself believe differently than you. I can say that my experience is stable and very good. My wife is very pleased! Thats says alot. :)

I'm glad that the Intel code has reached the stable, working well stage.
My impression was that there were still problems especially in getting
the still-beta code installed. Great if that is not so.

I used to run the Intel driver on one of my boxen, with XvMC. That was,
in 'net terms, long long ago. The driver was version 1.98 to 2.05 or so
iirc...when XvMC became kinda broken and vdpau was released. (And  Isaac
committed vdpau capable myth code! I promptly bought an nvidia card!)

On the other hand, I set out a *safe* course which will allow the OP to
get things working NOW. He has not said how capable he is, in terms of
finding, patching, and compiling things. And in this case, 'safe' also
includes choosing a motherboard (and maybe even case) which can fit the
hardware he has and may need to use today, to get his box running..

But which, as you point out, he may not need to use. Which would be
great. I'm thinking of doing a mythbox upgrade and my next mb will
likely have the Intel 2000 or 3000 chipset. So it would be nice to
dispense with the extra wattage of the nvidia card. I look forward to it.

Geoff