[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Feb 27 14:52:20 UTC 2012

On 12-02-25 03:37 PM, faginbagin wrote:

> On 2:59 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> <snip>
>> But even some straight 1920x1080i without zoom is stuttering.
>> MMMmm.. that is probably due to having Mythtv expand the image by 1 pixel
>> all around to eliminate the "data line" that otherwise flickers at the
>> top of the image.
>
> What I do to eliminate that data line is to use manual zoom mode to pan up one notch. Gets rid of the annoying VBI flicker without the need to scale the video.

That's a good trick.

But I've now double/triple checked things, and the setup didn't/doesn't
have that "zoom by one" thing set -- I must have gotten rid of it at some point.

So, the GT430 stutters sometimes, even on "normal" 1920x1080 playback.
Which is odd, because my Atom/Ion2 box can play the same content
without the stutter, and there's no way the GT430 is slower than Ion2!  :)

That's even with the clocks set to "performance" in nvidia-settings.

So, something else is affecting things.  One difference between the Atom/Ion2
box and the larger GT430 box, is the former uses XFCE whereas the latter
has a "normal" Gnome2 desktop underneath mythfrontend.

I seem to recall that the Ion2 box did stutter when I originally set it
up with GNOME, which is why it now has XFCE.  The other box had no issues
with GNOME when originally set up with a 9500GT, and later with a GT240.

So.. I might try and get an XFCE desktop going on that box,
or perhaps work at trying to shoehord the (double-slot width) GT240 card
back into it again.