[mythtv-users] Nuppel nuisance

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Feb 27 01:54:35 UTC 2012

On 2/26/2012 20:33, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
> to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
> play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
> MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> what?
> For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear the
> audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> before crashing.
>
> Any recommendations how to recode them?

Best option, get a hardware encoder card so you start out with something
more generic.

Second best option, rewrite the encoder routines in MythTV to use a more
sensible format.  This has actually been done at least once, but it
never got cleaned up and committed.

What you're probably looking for, use mythtranscode's fifo options to
extract the audio and video bitstreams.  Nuvexport will likely do what
you're looking for already, however if you don't like nuvexport, you can
at least read through it as a guide of how to handle the fifo mechanism.