[mythtv-users] CPU for a frontend

dave cunningham ml at upsilon.org.uk
Sun Feb 26 16:16:52 UTC 2012

In message
<CAKY9fr+RPuwfz8v3M+VrEUuTxK84OJd9270sNkj70BHmorO-ow at mail.gmail.com>,
William Powers wrote

>On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM, dave cunningham <ml at upsilon.org.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>> Is there any reason as to why I should choose an i2100T over a G630T?
>> (Conversely a G630T appears to be 50% cheaper than an i2100T here so
>> that's the way I'm currently leaning).
>
>I have tested a G620T, a G620 and an i3-2105 using OpenGL playback
>over Intel HD Graphics and all worked fine.  This is with US OTA ATSC
>1080i and 720p as well as HDPVR 1080i and 720p files. With a G620 (T
>or otherwise), some of the OpenGL hardware deinterlacers wouldn't work
>because Intel HD Graphics doesn't have enough hardware acceleration.
>That would be about the only reason I can think to step up to an
>i3-2100 (T or otherwise) with Intel HD Graphics 2000, but I found I
>preferred the GreedyHighMotion,2x software deinterlacer anyway so that
>wouldn't be a factor for me.  The G620 CPU's were pretty busy during
>1080i playback using the software deinterlacer, but they weren't maxed
>out.  IIRC, the G620 was just under 50% CPU and the G620T was just
>over 50% cpu.

<snip>

Thanks, this is useful information.

 From reading the board over the last while I have the impression that
quality wise NVidia + VDPAU is still quite a bit ahead of the rest
(de-interlacing quality, refresh rates, EDID support, general
stability).

This is the sole reason I am planning to use the GT430. Is this still
the case? If I can avoid the discrete card then I will be glad to do so.
(FYI WAF is probably the most important factor here).

Thanks,
--
Dave Cunningham                                  PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC