[mythtv-users] HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 00:45:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
>> I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set.  The
>> HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
>> will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
>> my wife.  When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
>> channel changes fine.  When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
>> the time I get a failure.  The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
>> not find the ringbuffer file to play from.  The initial channel is found
>> correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
>>
>> Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?
>
> John,
>
> My parents have a similar setup, two HDPVR as well, two frontends can
> start live tv fine and play, but at the show change marks one of the
> frontends stops playing, the other seems to ride through the program
> change fine, but not always. The recording files for the new shows get
> created and have data, so it seems as though the backend is properly
> tuning and recording which is also what I see in the backend log.
>
> is this somewhat similar to what you're seeing?

I am not in a position to test the attached patch at this time.
However, a couple of months ago, when I was looking into the problem,
I found that lowering the timeout for read errors from 2.5 seconds to
1 second allowed LiveTV to recover better from glitches.  The attached
patch makes that change.

Here is a link to the driver patch that will *probably* make this
change unnecessary:

http://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/media-next.git/blobdiff/63ae37ea5186a6890a8968611180dc61118f719d..afa159538af61f1a65d48927f4e949fe514fb4fc:/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr-video.c

John