[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:16:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris
> <snharris99 at live.com> wrote:
>> I don't think your suggestion of using "Album Artist" will do much with 0.25
>> (I could be very wrong).  The Navigation Tree is pre-filled with
>> categories....All, Album, Artist, Rating.  Also, it may help a little with
>> compilation albums, but it doesn't help much with all the individual songs
>> that my wife has purchased from ITunes that she wants organize "Like X" and
>> all the songs she's bought from Amazon that she want "Like Y".
>
> I'll admit that I hadn't considered this case - personally I'd
> probably fudge the Genre tag because I never use it anyway.
>
> Re: making it work with MythMusic - I guess if you need a feature you
> could ask really nicely? ;o)
>
>> Also, none of this allows me to just navigate to Kangaroo Cry and just play
>> it.  I don't do playlists, never have, [hopefully] never will.  I have
>> always been a jump around and listen to individual songs on whims, or entire
>> albums in the background type.
>
> This I understand - I gave up on MythMusic because the playlist thing
> drove me nuts. A software-Squeezebox solution has been much less
> painful for me - some day I might even get around to writing a halfway
> decent MythTV plugin for it based on the XML api it provides.
>
> - Chris

I use Jaikoz to tag, multi-platform (java), works great, ties in with
MusicBrainz and discogs. My music collection tags are "clean as a
whistle" for all but my new music finds from blogs and such, which all
are in their own separate folder.

That said, the current MythMusic (0.24) ability to display the folder
layout is essential for my music collection. I have music from various
sources (various music stores, my ripped CD's, HD versus non, etc plus
all my housemates music as well). and I want to be able to see that
separation in MythMusic.

The other option is to use a system like WinAmp's media player with
it's smart playlists and such (which, in the end is my vote for how
the on screen layout for MythMusic should look, like WinAmp's Media
Library (minus the non-music stuff).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!