[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend (mythvideo) .25 crashes and timeouts

Bob K Mertz lists at bibleboy.org
Fri Feb 24 07:20:26 UTC 2012

On 2/24/12 2:13 AM, Phill Wiggin wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Bob K Mertz <lists at bibleboy.org
> <mailto:lists at bibleboy.org>> wrote:
>
>     I personally would lean more towards a bandwidth issue rather than codec
>     but I can't say for sure.  I don't know enough about the insides to
>     really help but I think I would look in the direction of checking your
>     network connections.  I know that, for instance, if I have a DivX video
>     on my backend server and playing to a frontend using storage groups it
>     rarely would play correctly -- lots of skipping and jumping.  Those same
>     video files seem to play perfectly if I'm using an NFS share to the same
>     machine and using iptraf showed that the consumption of bandwidth was
>     astronomically larger with the storage groups -- but this was only one
>     type of video file and all the others worked just fine.  It might be
>     worth installing iptraf or some other program to give you an
>     understanding of what bandwidth is being consumed.
>

> Thanks for the suggestion.  These files are shared via NFS, and HD .mp4s
> play fine, but smaller, low-rez .avi files are the ones that fail. The
> frontends are wired (vs. wireless) and had no bandwidth issues with .24.

That may not be your issue then... I'm really not certain :(  I am using
a mythbuntu system and I upgraded to 0.25 using the mythbuntu-repos and
I've had my share of the expected bugs but I've actually had no issues
with mythvideo at all.  You may want to check your TV playback settings
in set up on your front end.  I did have an issue with one of my front
ends because in 0.25 they've deleted some of the profiles.  I can't
remember if it was CPU++ or CPU- or what exactly I was using but it went
away and I had all kinds of issues until I adjusted those.