[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend for Android released on Market

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 01:25:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM, - - <fretinvin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 February 2012 15:41, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 23/02/2012 14:32, - - wrote:
>> > On 23 February 2012 15:16, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com
>> > <mailto:dbadia at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     Is this project open source?   I ask because I am on .24 and would
>> >     like to help bring it up to date by adding 24 and 25 support
>> >

>> > No, it is not open source. It is not unlikely though that it will be
>> > released as open source some day, but currently it is closed...
>>
>> Is this written from scratch then, not based on the MythTV source?
>

> Yes, written from scratch inspired by the protocol guide at:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_Protocol/Guide
>
> /Fredrik
>

>> Paul.

Nice work - I've got a few android devices and have been wishing for a
more integrated mythtv experience on Android.

However, at this point I would suggest you strongly consider getting
it to run on soon-to-be-released 0.25 (current development branch) and
leverage the Services API and HLS (HTTP live streaming) capabilities -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Services_API . You'd probably be way better
off just forgetting about supporting 0.24 and definitely 0.23 as the
user base is probably smaller and you'll just frustrate people who are
using any different version of the protocol you've chosen to use.

The services API is basically replacing MythXML from here on out and
is written to be more stable for 3'rd party consumption than
MythProtocol.  I'm very surprised that I'm the first to come to this
thread and suggest this... projects like yours is exactly why it was
created in the first place.

Anyway... since 0.25 will be about in approx 2 months, you'd have some
time to work on it, and perhaps and get it ready by release.  One of
the mythtv developers took on a side project of creating an iOS app
that leverages the API heavily to interact with the backend &
frontend, and even stream recordings and videos.  Check out
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/496645#496645 and
http://vimeo.com/32063038 for more details.  I'd sure like to see
something of equal sorts for android.

Thanks!