[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend for Android released on Market

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Feb 23 16:28:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM, - - <fretinvin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 February 2012 17:04, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM, - - <fretinvin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have yesterday released the first version of my hobby-project, a
>> > mythtv
>> > frontend for Android.
>> >
>> > It uses protocol version 56 (mythtv 0.23).
>>
>> Which means it won't work with 0.24 or 0.25 backends, correct? If so,
>> you should really make this clear on your market page before you get a
>> bunch of 1 star ratings from people saying how much your app sucks
>> because it didn't work on their system.
>>

> I would like to have it supporting multiple backend versions but I don't
> know how. Is there a way? The only thing I have seen regarding this is that
> you should not "probe" the backend for versions... Is there a way to tell
> the the backend to be backwards-compatible?

>From the Wiki page:

=========================
Saying Hello

A Myth TV backend typically runs on port 6543 and the first thing you
will need to do when you connect, is tell Myth the protocol version
that you speak. This is done by sending the MYTH_PROTO_VERSION
command. The only argument to this command is the version.
Here's the catch. If you send a version that is different than what
the server is currently running, then it will reject you. When you are
rejected, *** Myth does tell you what version you need to be at in
order for the backend to talk to you***

So in your app, send the 'MYTH_PROTO_VERSION' command, parse the
response, then have your app branch as appropriate for the version it
tells you it needs, and then resend the proper 'MYTH_PROTO_VERSION'
command. Of course, if you don't support the version being returned,
then you need to exit.

Tom