[mythtv-users] Video Playback Issues

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:47:37 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 03:47 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Note that if you have set vdpaubuffersize, you will need to unset it
> when you upgrade to 0.25, after it's released.  Having vdpaubuffersize
> set in unstable/development (and, eventually, 0.25), will almost
> definitely cause problems with playback.

Mike;

I know I've read this warning before and removed mine.

But there's no explicit mention of this in the release notes
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=Release_Notes_-_0.25.) For
example under the: Special Notices & Instructions section.
Which I'd be happy to add, if appropriate.

The release notes do have this line about 1/4 of the way down:

   VDPAU: Dynamically optimise video buffer size [5e04d57]

which gets to:

   https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/5e04d57

which says the setting was retained (and its meaning changed.)

Looking at the code, the default value is set to 12 and the accepted
range if the filter is set is 6-50. It adds this to some hard coded
values.

I'm pretty sure I can write a patch that would change the accepted
range check to print a critical warning and guarantee that the
default value was always used. If you'd like I'll submit a ticket with
a  patch. I suspect that would be a better solution than relying on
folks reading the release notes.

Or I'm missing the point entirely?

--
Bill