[mythtv-users] Current SFF Frontend of choice

William Powers wepprop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:13:59 UTC 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 5:04 AM, Martin Moores <moores.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering what the current SFF frontend of choice is at the moment?

Of course, opinions will vary but if I were putting together a new frontend today, I would put a G620T with the OEM HSF on a mini-ITX board and use OpenGL playback with the integrated Intel graphics

The only trick is that I had to remove all trace of the nvidia driver and I had to patch and recompile the Mesa rpm's from instructions I found on this list. Hopefully the distros will pick up the upstream patch very soon and make the latter unnecessary. The advantage to using OpenGL on Intel graphics is I don't need a discrete NVidia GPU that adds 10 or 15 watts at idle.  With a pico-PSU it should idle under 20 watts and use an extra 5 to 10 watts during HD playback.  Plus you don't have to deal with NVidia proprietary drivers.

There's enough CPU to use a sophisticated software deinterlacer like GreedyHighMotion,2X or yo can even step up to something like an i3-2100T or even a -2105 to get more hardware acceleration.  That is the one weird thing about Intel - you have to buy more CPU to get more hardware graphics acceleration.

And things will only get better as VAAPI is implemented.