[mythtv-users] OT: receiver problem

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Wed Feb 22 06:26:51 UTC 2012

On 20/02/2012 6:31 PM, Paul Stillwell wrote:
> I'm running Fedora 14 with mythtv 0.24-266. I have an Intel DG45id motherboard with HDMI output hooked to my receiver and my receiver is hooked to my Panasonic TV via HDMI. Everything had been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I came home and the resolution had changed for some reason. I rebooted it and it comes back up at not the correct resolution. It almost looks like it is running 640x480, but when I look at the monitor resolution under System->Monitors it reports 1920x1080. I hooked the HDMI cable that comes from the TV directly into the PC and the resolution is fine so it seems like something with my receiver (a Denon 2808ci).
>
> I tried hacking an xorg.conf file (I don't run with one I let the hardware detect the setup), but that didn't work. I don't know much about what should go in xorg.conf so I could have made a mistake there. I could hook the HDMI from the TV into the PC and then run S/PDIF from the PC to the receiver, but it would be a pain to do. It's nice right now that everything goes through HDMI.
>
> Has anyone else seen anything like this before? Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Paul

I had similar issues running a TV (both Sony & LG) through a Yamaha
receiver.  Not sure what the Yamaha receiver was doing to the EDID data,
but it wasn't getting back through to Xorg. I presume you're not using
an nVidia card, so I'm not sure the easiest way to do this is; but in my
case, the easiest solution, and the most elegant, was to get the edid
data block, save it in a file somewhere, and then in xorg.conf (in the
device section) specify a custom edid.  I had to pass a couple extra
options to xorg to keep it happy, if it makes your live any easier, this
is what the device portion of my xorg.conf looks like:

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/lg47v4400.edid"
     Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
     Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1"
     Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
     Option "UseEvents" "True"
     Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
     Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
     Option "NoLogo"    "True"
EndSection

Not sure exactly what options you need for your video card.  Failing
that, if you can get (and parse) the edid data, if would be simple
enough to generate some custom modelines for your monitor/tv.

HTH,

Andrew.