[mythtv-users] Video Playback Issues

Paulin paulin at spextreme.com
Wed Feb 22 03:37:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Michael Watson <
michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 22/02/2012 12:49 PM, Paulin wrote:
> > Hey all.  It's been a while.  This is a good things.
> >
> > I have my Myth box up and running for a few years with no real issues.
> >  Recently my NVidia Card (JATON VIDEO-498PCI-DLP GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
> > 128-bit DDR2 PCI Low Profile Ready Video Card) went after 2 years (fan
> > broke) so to keep it simple, I bought the same card.  After
> > installing, booted up and things looked fine.
> >
> > Now however during playback, the video is fine but then the screen
> > goes black, and slowly a few areas will appear until it all comes
> > back.  Also when this happens, the sound blips (if that makes sense,
> >  Doesn't really interrupt the sound but you can tell something
> > happened).  Anyway it also has had distored color and sometimes
> > freezes the frontend.  No CPU cycles being taken when frozen either.
> When the video comes back, does it come back blocky or does it fade in
> from black to full color?
> Is your sound coming from the display, or a separate amp?
> >
> > So any ideas on the problem.  Is the replacement card bad.  Is there
> > another problem?
> Possibly a faulty card (was it new? or a "working" s/hand card?)  It is
> possible that when the other card failed, it damage it motherboard, or
> possibly the display.
> If your sound is coming from the Display, then it might indicate that
> the previous card has damaged the display when it failed.
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > steve

The sound is going through a stereo and not the display.

The card was new and not a second hand.

And when the picture comes back it comes back in blocks.  Basically it
comes back as something on the screen changes (the small areas that get
updated for the motion of the picture.

Steve