[mythtv-users] Transcoded recordings playback fails: audio failure, video stutters (was Last MythTV Gentoo ebuild... buffer issues)

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 22:27:15 UTC 2012

On 22/02/2012 2:49 AM, jk90090 wrote:
> On 2/20/12 10:04 PM, Andrew Leech wrote:
>> On 21/02/2012 4:47 PM, jk90090 wrote:
>>> See example here:  http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10212#comment:15
>> Wow, don't I feel daft.
>> I'd seen that comment, including the mythcommflag line, but for some
>> reason my eyes had simply skipped over the ffmpeg line.
> No worries, happens to the best of us.
>>> Or rollback to 2011-11-13 build.  I'm basically sitting on this until
>>> someone fixes this serious break.  3 months and counting...   :-(
>> It'd be really nice to know the common denominator (hardware?) of the
>> issue, it's strange it hasn't come up more widely.
>>
> What I can say is that the my ATI-based backend wasn't having the same
> issue, but in general its performance is poor compared to the NVIDIA
> VDPAU enabled frontend.  I don't think it's VDPAU specific though, as I
> believe I also tested recompiling without VDPAU enabled.
>
> -JK
I pulled my nvidia card and switched back to intel HD graphics onboard,
it's a G6950 (similar to i3). With the new codebase (I think vaapi is
running) I get great performance on it, wheras 0.24 was noticeably slow.
It still has exactly the same skipping though.
So no, I don't think the graphics card itself can have anything to do
with it, it has to be something earlier in the chain.

Andrew