[mythtv-users] missing tv schedules

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 21 20:25:51 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 01:28 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>> Not going to happen.  We actively discourage MythTV users from messing
>>> in the database as they invariably bugger it up and it takes many
>>> hours of handholding to fix their damage (if it can even be fixed,
>>> depending on what they do).
>> Its opensource software, why is the DB so clouded in mystery, that
>> everyone is discouraged from even looking at the tables....  I for one,
>> would love to know where the status of SBE is located, so I can inform
>> the MBE on a SBE/FE shutdown, that is merely going to sleep, not
>> disconnected.  (As mythwelcome does such a poor job of shutting down a
>> SBE when it is not required)
> I clearly stated the reasons.  People who need help finding their way
> around the db are very likely to mess it up as they poke around.  We
> have had countless cases of this happening, and we are tired of
> providing support for things that shouldn't be happening at all.
> Additionally, people make third-party scripts that twiddle the
> database and really mess it up, and then blame MythTV.
>
> If you are a capable DBA, you are likely not going to mess it up, but
> you would also most likely not be asking for help to go through it.

Not to mention the fact that the argument, "I know SQL; therefore, it's
safe for me to edit the data directly," is akin to saying, "I know
binary (*both* 0 and 1); therefore, it's safe for me to edit the MS Word
document in a binary editor."  Whether you know the language or not,
unless you know all of MythTV's code, you don't know the data
requirements and constraints (which are /not/ specified by the language
or the database, but all exist in the MythTV source code).

Mike