[mythtv-users] MythTV Is Now Forked As Torc

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Tue Feb 21 20:22:58 UTC 2012

On 21.02.2012 21:04, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM, jedi<jedi at mishnet.org>  wrote:
>>> advanced much in reality.  It's still doing the same thing it did 9
>>> years ago generally except better (VDPAU and storage pools for
>>> example).  I'm OK with that though.  I am however disappointed by area
>>> like streaming to phones, laptops, transcoding, etc are still woefully
>>
>>      "streaming" to other devices is primarily hung up on the fact that
>> many of them aren't well equipped to deal with any TV recording or most
>> other forms of video for that matter.
>
> That's what content negotiation is for:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_negotiation
>
> Ideally the mythTV protocol used to communicate between the backend
> and frontend would include some form of content negotiation, and
> perhaps the backend could generate transcoded content on the fly to
> best fit the frontend's needs.  It can be done, it just hasn't been.

What is all that moaning about? Did any of you actually read whats in
the upcoming *MythTV* release?

Let me quote the relevant points for you from
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

  * Capable MythNetvision sources can now be controlled via remote(lirc)
that translates to "Internet TV with remote"

  * HTTP Live Streaming Capabilities - ability to expose recordings and
    videos via the services API
that is streaming to phones and other devices with transcoding, some
sample videos are available on youtube etc.

  * AirTunes/AirPlay support for streaming audio and video from iOS
    devices to MythFrontend
thats streaming the other way round, might be useful for parties (maybe
not, depends on the guests ;)

The only issue is that its not a shrink wrapped appliance with
everything setup for you. In exchange for some setup you are not forced
to stay in one suppliers walled garden. (e.g. only MS Extenters for
MS WMC, the same goes for Apple and the others)

If you want UPNP/DLNA to work with your TV you can help with looking up
what braindead combination of signalling MythTV has to provide so your
TV realizes that it actually is able to decode some content.

Your mobile device can be easily handled with automated transcode jobs
after relevant recordings. Setup syncing and you'll always have
something to watch on that long flight.

Regards,
Karl