[mythtv-users] Harmony 700 with Hauppauge IR receiver on FC16

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:47:47 UTC 2012

To make my Harmony remote with with Myth, I've been using the IR receiver
on an Hauppauge PVR-250 that is otherwise unused.  To set this up, I used
the Hauppauge PVR device that's listed in the Harmony database, and paired
that with the rs15-2116-vcr0081 lircd.conf.  All in all, it has worked
pretty well.

Until now.  I just made the jump from FC12 to FC16.  I'm learning pretty
quickly that some fundamental changes to lirc_i2c occurred somewhere around
FC14.  Searching this forum, I have discovered that ir-kbd-i2c has replaced
(on some level) the older lirc_i2c module.  It's not clear to me whether I
even need lirc anymore if I use this new module.  Through trial and error,
I sorta have it working, although it doesn't pick up all my remote
commands.  Just some numbers and one or two other keys.  I even pulled out
my old grey Hauppauge remote and it works kinda half the time as well.

My question is, what is the best way to make my Harmony 700 work with my IR
receiver now that I am on FC16?  Are there other options besides
ir-kbd-i2c?  If this is the best option, I would like to know if there is a
tutorial I can follow to get this set up properly.  Not sure how this new
driver differs from the old, and whether it need lirc, or how I set up the
key mappings.

Thanks!
Larry