[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi suitability for MythFrontend

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Feb 20 08:01:43 UTC 2012

On 20/02/2012 4:03 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>> On 2/19/2012 20:58, Mark Hutchinson wrote:

Interesting thanks chaps.

A frontend typically only runs for the viewing time, the backend runs
all the time...

I think the most power saving is actually to be gained if the pi ran as
a master backend, I recall someone here had done a similar thing with
another small PC (Can't recall its name now but they're not available
anymore - sheevaplug it was) Many of us run backends all the time and
pay the power.... A pi might be a great slave backend coordinator, its
relevant to note the scheduler also requires a lot of CPU grunt that the
pi isn't likely to cut too well either (Shame the video processor cant
be easily 'borrowed') However I also recall someone saying their
sheevaplug was up to the scheduling....

Still other techniques towards this aim are noted on the list, as I
understand it just needs compatible hardware, testing and patience....

Also another point worth making is that only the 256M version has an
Ethernet interface, which seems as important as having enough RAM.  I
recall there was hope that frontend processing could be done with vdpau
and 256M however I've not seen anything about that recently, has that
died a natural death?