[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Sun Feb 19 13:15:16 UTC 2012

>Well it's good to know that it's not MythMusic that is broken :) You
>might just have a bad build which will clear itself up if you update
>again I believe the library version change or something like that was
>causing a few problems.

Yeah, I still think I'll wait until Mythbuntu 12.04.  I like to do fresh
installs to get rid of any "cruft" from my experimentation in between
upgrades.  It works out nicely that it and 0.25 will be coming out around
the same time.

>> I think I would still prefer an option to have the tree (whenever I
>>can actually get it to work) simply display my folder hierarchy, though.

>Well that currently isn't possible. While it would be relatively easy to
>add another node to the tree that allowed that I think the consensus of
>opinion was to encourage everyone to add sane metadata to there tracks
>rather than rely on the tracks filename.

That's the thing, I do have sane metadata in all my music.  I go to great
lengths to make sure I do when I import it (which was a big time killer on
the initial import).  However, my preference is to present my music by
artist....mostly.  It tends to break down with "various artist" albums where
you end up having some unknown session artist (say from a sound track) in
the list with one song under their name.  I accommodated this by adding a
"various artists" folder to my hierarchy and sanely organizing those types
of albums in there.

I will say however, that after I got a better feel for how it works now in
0.25 while playing with it on my laptop, it's a vast improvement over what
MythMusic has been.  One thing I wouldn't mind seeing (and it may be there
and I missed it) is a way to navigate to a song in the tree and simply play
it without having to go through all the playlist stuff.  For example, if I
just want to listen to Kangaroo Cry by Blue October, rather than navigating
to the album, selecting it, selecting "replace" to keep my selected list
somewhat sane, then navigating to my selected list and playing it; what
about just navigating to the album, song and pressing play?