[mythtv-users] Starting MythTV

Duncan Gillibrand duncang92 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 17:28:12 UTC 2012

Firstly ... thanks very much for all the replies.

I should have added:

Ubuntu 11.10
MythTV 0.24
XBMC Eden Beta 3

Everything installed from repositories.

I've tried all of the suggestions and I'm still stuck.

Bill .... grep -i mysql /var/log/syslog shows "mysql pre-start process
(4588) terminated with status 1" and there is no /var/log/mysql/error.log (I
guess since mysql never started).

You are also right on "mount | grep run", there is no /var/run.

The upstart job is in /etc/init as mysql.conf. Reading this shows that it
sets the environment home to /etc/mysql and then should call my.cnf.

Mysql.conf should be starting the mysqld from what I see but syslog
(previous note)  is telling me that it was terminated with "status 1",
whatever that means.  Here's a dropbox link to it
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21358603/mysql.conf

I also added my.cnf for completeness although I believe all if good here
since I can manually start mysql once I have manually created the socket as
in my first post. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21358603/my.cnf

Yianni ... your posting helped some although I get problems when trying to
update the autostart:

>> Type:
>> $ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
>> and it will start the daemon, taking care of all these.

Since I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 mysql is in /etc/init and the reply says use the
service utility start ... so "sudo mysql start" which then gives "start: Job
failed to start".

A simple "mysql start" as superuser gives the error can't connect to
database as mysqld.sock does not exist. This is where I found that creating
and touching the file manually resolved my issue.

>> To check if it set to start automatically on boot (it won't be in your
case), type
>> $ sudo /sbin/chkconfig mysql

>> It should reply
>> mysql off

You're right, it does (once I installed the chkconfig tool).

>> To have it run automatically at startup, type
>> $ sudo /sbin/chkconfig mysql on

 Wow does that give some verbose feedback .... mostly saying that this
should now be an upstart job.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21358603/chkconfig.output

Thanks folks, Duncan