[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Feb 16 21:36:21 UTC 2012

On 12-02-16 04:29 PM, jedi wrote:

>    As a general rule of thumb, that's just a bad idea. Your backups should
> be as far away from the original as possible.

I disagree with this over-generalization.

> Your backups should be able
> to survive whatever misfortune causes your originals to become unavailable.

Again, an over-generalization.

Your backups only need to be as isolated as the circumstances you are
trying to mitigate require.

If I'm just trying to mitigate a fat-finger rm, then having the backup
on the same machine is fine.  If I'm trying to mitigate a hardware
failure then I need to have the backups on a different machine (but same
room is still fine).  If I am trying to mitigate a site disaster (house
burns down or floods) then I need to have backups off-site.  Etc.

This is all really pretty common-sense once you sit down and think about
it.  The point is though, to sit down and think about exactly what you
are trying to mitigate and how much you are willing to spend doing it.

b.