[mythtv-users] thetvdb fanart missing from Myth

Ken Truesdale kat at tiac.net
Thu Feb 16 18:34:38 UTC 2012

> Isn't there some kind of systematic way of handling characters like this by
> escaping them (like & and " in HTML, or even \/ in code)? I would think
> that would be a preferable method to use rather than adding increasing 'one-off'
> rules exceptions every time someone uses yet another reserved character in a
> title string.
>
> - yeah, I know you just have the one title so far, but the principle still
> applies. There's *always* going to be another one coming, isn't there?

Well, most characters are escaped properly so Myth is good about finding the names.  In fact, the forward slash is the only character I know of that will cause this problem.  And that's because of Unix's firm rule that no slashes are allowed in file names.  (Reasonable considering it'd be really challenging to then figure out how to discern directories from filename characters.)

So the problem is that I can't escape the slash in the filename on the filesystem and therefore the slash has to be removed from the string that is being searched.  Admittedly not pretty.  But as Raymond wrote in response to my original query on the matter, doing name matching isn't an ideal way to go in the first place and will be replaced in .25 with a better ID based method.  So, this stopgap is good for versions prior to .25 and for only the '/' character.

Ken.