[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Feb 15 21:36:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:19:00PM -0500, Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 2/15/12 10:04 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> > On 02/10/2012 06:08 PM, PJR wrote:
> >
> >> I want to hold all myth recorded data on RAID1, agree TV is not so
> >> important but music and videos are.
> >>
> > Have you considered _not_ using RAID arrays?  If you are mainly looking
> > for redundancy RAID doesn't buy you much (single disk failure only).
> >
> While the RAID 1 the OP mentioned does, indeed, only allow for
> single-disk failure, RAID 6 has a minimum of two-disk redundancy. Other
> RAID configurations offer different degrees redundancy.

    Well, there's a couple of issues here.

        "It's just TV"

        "RAID isn't a backup method"

    Segregate your data based on how important it is and apply a different
level of redundacy to the stuff that's really important.

     Have multiple copies of the stuff that's important.

     Have as many copies as you can manage.

     RAID or not-RAID really doesn't impact any of that so much.