[mythtv-users] Blackgold's BGT3620 card

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 17:41:25 UTC 2012

On 15/02/12 14:16, Toric wrote:

> Whilst I have used Linux distros on and off for about ten years, this is my
> first foray into building a TV recorder and it has been a sharp learning
> curve. I still know hardly anything about the DVB API, how it hangs
> together, and where device-specific variations are handled. I had not
> anticipated having to brush the dust off my 1985 copy of Kernighan&
> Ritchie.

If this is a first attempt at building a DVR, why didn't you go for a tuner that
is known to work with Linux? No need for API knowledge, or indeed K&R.

Most of us have started with something simple like a PVR-150 and then improved
as our experience has grown. In the digital age the options are different, but a
list like

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards

or even

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Device_Information

should get you going, without the need to sacrifice any chickens. Quite a few of
us have software experience, but Linux TV is a specialized subject and there's
no shame in starting simple.

--

Mike Perkins