[mythtv-users] Rebooting master results in slave not connected

Andy Sheen sheen.andy at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 11 01:46:43 UTC 2012

Michael Watson wrote on Sat 11 Feb at 1:21 UK time
> The wake command is executed each time the MBE process is started (or
> restarted), in which case the MBE knows that the slave is thus not
> connected, and attempts to restart the SBE process, if both machines are
> 24x7 then you dont need to bother checking if the slave is on, and just
> attempt to restart slave backend process, but I would still atempt to
> check if its actually on first.

But that doesn't account for the time when the SBE is taken offline
after the MBE has been started. It will have checked when it was
restarted, but won't check before it records...

>      A cron job polling a file share, in my opinion is a bit ugly.

They're all ugly. MythTV should be able to cope with a reboot in the
system without having to restart processes. The ability to ask the slave
"are you alive" or the ability to send the "I'm alive" message
periodically would solve everything...

TBH, with the amount of work that's gone into MythTV and the exceedingly
complex ways you can set it up, I'm really surprised this has been left
to the user.

>>> Regards,
>>> Michael

Andy