[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:33:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM, William Powers <wepprop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nonsense... Anything over 60 fps output is all you need.
>> 1080i is 30fps, and what comes out from Advanced 2X is 60fps, no more, no less.
>
> Yes, but but you need that > 60 fps on every type of program and qvdpautest only
> tests one short clip.  My experience has been that I will get a noticeable amount of
> dropped frames on some material if the qvdpautest result for mixer temporal_spatial
> is less than ~75 fps or so. That's why I stick with Temporal,2X with my 520 even
> though qvdpautest says it will do 67 fps. The difference between Advanced,2X and
> Temporal,2X is subtle, at most. Playback glitches are not.

what Will said.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Neil Cooper <neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a 520 too. I have it set at Advanced, 2X for everything and have never noticed
> any dropped frames on any content (tv recordings: analog, 720p and 1080i),and DVD
> and blu-ray (1080p). Actually that makes me wonder if mythtv is actually using those
> settings for all types of playback.

Deinterlacing is not required for progressive content. So this is
conversation does not pertain to 720p or 1080p BluRay content.

As well, 480i content on DVD is much easier to deinterlace than 1080i content.

Really this only matters for high resolution interlaced content.
something that hopefully, soon, will no longer matter, if only
broadcasters would just switch to progressive only streams...

Like I said in my initial post, content and screen size matter. When I
watch sports on my 50" or on my parents 55" it is noticeable, on my
26" in my bedroom or my housemates 32" it is not.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!