[mythtv-users] Ceton Linux driver 1.6 supports more than 3GiB of RAM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:05:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 18:54, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm. Does this mean the drivers are 32 bit only? Its been probably 5
> years since I have had a 32 bit linux machine. Even at work.

I could have sworn I saw a reference that indicated that the
issue was the DMA engine on card had a 32bit (addressing)
restriction.  What that requires (in a 64bit driver) is to make
sure that one acquires memory "below the line" for DMA
(and there are ways to do it, called "bounce buffers").  I
could have imagined that reference (because I have recently
been dealing with another card with the exact same issue).