[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Thu Feb 9 21:53:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 04:15:54AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I guess I will observe over time a bit longer.  I'd love to get down
> into the single digits of seconds as you have done.  Given that I've
> already put mysql's "tmpdir" on tmpfs I might be at that CPU bound point
> given that I do only have a Celeron @ 2.4GHz.

I know this is an old thread, but I had 6, 750G drives in a raid5 linux
software array since March of 2010. Just had 2 of the 6 completely fail,
thank God I had one of them marked as a hot spare. I'll be passing over
any of their green drives from now on.

The array held recordings only, mysql data and the root file system was
on another, separate drive.

--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz
16:50:32 up 217 days, 5:05, 3 users, load average: 0.13, 0.06, 0.10