[mythtv-users] Relocating recordings storage directory

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:48:33 UTC 2012

> HI,
>

> I currently have all of my recordings stored in a directory called /myth/tv,
> I would like to be able to relocate them to another folder - /media/myth/tv.
>

> Obviously I need to make some changes in the mythconverg database to point
> everything at the new location, can anyone tell me an easy way of changing
> the locations in the database, so that all of my existing recordings can be
> accessed in the new location and all new recordings will be stored there
> too?

If you are running a recent version of MythTV then the recording
directory will be part of a storage group.  Storage groups are managed
using the mythtv-setup program.

So

backup your database just in case.

stop mythtbackend and run mythtv-setup.

On the main menu select Storage Groups and then the Default Recording
Group.  You should see your existing recording directory /myth/tv
there.

Add your /media/myth/tv directory to the same group.

Save and exit mythtv-setup and restart the backend to make sure you
can still see your recordings.  At this point you should be able to
freely move recordings between the two directories and myth will find
them whichever one they are in.  New recordings will be created in
either of the two directories to balance storage and drive access
resources.

So when you've moved all the existing recordings and you don't have an
active recording in progress go back into mythtv-setup and remove the
old directory from the storage group.

Probably read this first too

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups