[mythtv-users] OT: NIC going away.

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Wed Feb 8 08:30:27 UTC 2012

On 8/02/2012 2:07 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> The network has started to fail mysteriously in my mythbox.  No messages
> of any sort: all contact with outside units fails. "hdhomerun_config
> discover" returns 'no devices found'.
>
> And nothing seemed to bring the network back except a re-boot. (That
> might be important, I think). 'Service network restart' does nothing, as
> do 'ifdown eth0' and 'ifup eth0'. Once it's gone away, I get 'network
> unreachable' from pings etc. etc.
>
> I set up a cron to 'hdhomerun_config discover' every minute. And it
> worked for quite a time: from Saturday evening to Tuesday morning. Then,
> communications failed. Oddly there was one minute a few hours later when
> the network worked, but then nothing until I rebooted earlier tonight.
> See below.
>
> No power failures, and swapping cables made no difference.
>
> This box has run dependably for at least 3 years. Does anyone know
> whether ethtool? anything? could help diagnose this?
>
> Or is another NIC a necessity for this box' future?
>
> Geoff
>

> # hdhomerun_config discover run every minute by cron
>
> Tue Feb  7 10:03:01 EST 2012
> hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80
> Tue Feb  7 10:04:01 EST 2012
> no devices found
> # No messages...it just goes away
> <snip>
> Tue Feb  7 12:45:01 EST 2012
> no devices found
> Tue Feb  7 12:46:01 EST 2012
> hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80
> # But this one contact in the middle was interesting!
>
> Tue Feb  7 12:47:01 EST 2012
> no devices found
> <snip>
> Tue Feb  7 15:56:01 EST 2012
> no devices found
> Tue Feb  7 15:57:01 EST 2012
> hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80
> # As was this one!
>
> Tue Feb  7 15:58:01 EST 2012
> no devices found
> <snip>
> Tue Feb  7 19:25:01 EST 2012
> no devices found
>
> <rebooted here>
>
> Tue Feb  7 19:36:01 EST 2012
> hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80
>
> Tue Feb  7 19:37:01 EST 2012
> hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80

Curious.

  My MBE has started doing the same things, I was running a Realtek 8169
and the Onboard Intel E1000 bonded, until this started happening
(removed Realtek and bond setup, as I have had this happen previously
when a cheapo Realtek card started failing), and the E1000 is loosing
contact overnight (works flawlessly all day, then sometime between 2:00
AM and 7:00 AM everynight, it stops responding, unable to ping its own
IP).  A reboot fixes it.  System is 5+ Years old though, could possibly
be failling NIC

Nothing of any use in any logs, the system thinks it is working
properly, just cant talk to anybody

Ubuntu 10.04 - 2.6.32-38-server