[mythtv-users] OT: NIC going away.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Feb 8 03:07:25 UTC 2012

The network has started to fail mysteriously in my mythbox.  No messages
of any sort: all contact with outside units fails. "hdhomerun_config
discover" returns 'no devices found'.

And nothing seemed to bring the network back except a re-boot. (That
might be important, I think). 'Service network restart' does nothing, as
do 'ifdown eth0' and 'ifup eth0'. Once it's gone away, I get 'network
unreachable' from pings etc. etc.

I set up a cron to 'hdhomerun_config discover' every minute. And it
worked for quite a time: from Saturday evening to Tuesday morning. Then,
communications failed. Oddly there was one minute a few hours later when
the network worked, but then nothing until I rebooted earlier tonight.
See below.

No power failures, and swapping cables made no difference.

This box has run dependably for at least 3 years. Does anyone know
whether ethtool? anything? could help diagnose this?

Or is another NIC a necessity for this box' future?

Geoff

# hdhomerun_config discover run every minute by cron

Tue Feb  7 10:03:01 EST 2012
hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80
Tue Feb  7 10:04:01 EST 2012
no devices found
# No messages...it just goes away
<snip>
Tue Feb  7 12:45:01 EST 2012
no devices found
Tue Feb  7 12:46:01 EST 2012
hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80
# But this one contact in the middle was interesting!

Tue Feb  7 12:47:01 EST 2012
no devices found
<snip>
Tue Feb  7 15:56:01 EST 2012
no devices found
Tue Feb  7 15:57:01 EST 2012
hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80
# As was this one!

Tue Feb  7 15:58:01 EST 2012
no devices found
<snip>
Tue Feb  7 19:25:01 EST 2012
no devices found

<rebooted here>

Tue Feb  7 19:36:01 EST 2012
hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80

Tue Feb  7 19:37:01 EST 2012
hdhomerun device 1010EA43 found at 192.168.1.80