[mythtv-users] Trouble building mythpandora

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 7 18:25:23 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 11:58 AM, Adam Jimerson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> That means that for each update, mythpandora would have to be updated to
>> pull in the new libpiano/libwaitress/libezxml code, then updated to work
>> with the new code (and any required code changes due to protocol/API
>> changes), then recompiled with the new code.  I'm /guessing/ this is why
>> dougt seems to have abandoned the project--it hasn't been updated since
>> Jan 3, 2011--that's 10 protocol/API changes ago.  Therefore, even if you
>> get it to compile, it won't work.
> I figured it being based on/off pianobar that as long as that is up to date
> and is current
> with Pandora's protocol/API change then it would be worth a shot in trying
> it at least.

Because of how quickly the pianobar/libpiano/libwaitress code changes
(because of changes to Pandora, itself), MythPandora has an "internal"
copy of the libraries.  That means that the code can be made to compile,
but it also means you have to update the libraries as well as the
MythPandora code to keep it up to date with Pandora's changes.  In May,
a user did this, but even that patch is 6 updates out of date.

I actually talked to Doug in IRC when he started working on MythPandora,
and I had planned to use it and help improve it.  However, seeing how
quickly Pandora changes things/how often pianobar needs updates, I've
since decided it's not worth it.  I've now come to the conclusion that
it's better to use an external-to-MythTV application for Pandora.  And,
since I don't turn on the TV when I'm listening, it turns out the
"matches the MythTV UI" benefit of using a MythTV plugin doesn't even
help me.

Mike