[mythtv-users] dtv_multiplex.transmission_mode data type with BBC QAM-256 DVB-T2 streams

nemo myth797 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:44:27 UTC 2012

On 06/02/12 14:25, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 06/02/12 13:19, nemo wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm working my way through what's turning out to be a fairly painful
>> build of a replacement/upgraded server using a Blackgold BGT3650 quad
>> dvb-t2 card. The problems I'm seeing are generally not mythtv-related,
>> but I have noticed one thing that is, which is that in the database
>> dtv_multiplex.transmission_mode is data type char(1).
>>
>> Per info on the OFCOM web site, BBC dvb-t2 transmissions are in 32k
>> mode, which clearly isn't going to fit in the table. I've therefore set
>> the field to be "a", but this seems to add additional instability to an
>> already fairly wobbly setup.
>>
>> What have others done with this field..?
>>
>> Thanks
> I don't use HD often, and I have the PCTV 290e tuner.  I had to enter
> transportid and networkid directly into the DB and it then worked with
> the other entries unchanged.  I haven't seen anything else about this.
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10217#comment:1
>
> John P
Yes - I had to populate quite a lot of the table manually in order to
get it to work at all well, but - other than having to rely on the card
sorting out the transmission mode for itself - I think everything else
in there is OK now.

The problem is that the card doesn't seem to switch very well between SD
& HD (or indeed sometimes between SD muxes). It seems however to work
better with mplayer if I have a channels.conf that says
TRANSMISSION_MODE_32K rather than TRANSMISSION_MODE_AUTO and it'd be
good to make a similar comparison in myth.

At the moment I have it configured with two channel sources - one for
all the SD channels (3 inputs) and one for the HD ones (1 input). I
still get too many failed recordings though, but I think that problem
lies elsewhere.