[mythtv-users] Long-postponed MySQL upgrades - pitfalls?

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Feb 6 01:04:48 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 05:57 PM, Dale Pontius wrote:
> Are there any pitfalls to upgrading MySQL from 5.0 to 5.1 or 5.5?
> Can this be achieved with a pair of binary upgrades? (5.0->5.1, then 5.1
> ->  5.5)  Or will I just have to drop and reload?

I just looked and I have been running mythtv for 8 years and 5 months.

During that time I have completed many OS upgrades and converted from 32
bit to 64 bit.

I have never had to do a drop and reload.  I just keep copying my
/var/lib/mysql directory to the new machine and then run mysql_upgrade.

Shutdown your mysql database
Backup your /var/lib/mysql
Upgrade the binaries to 5.5
Start mysql