[mythtv-users] EPG, IR Remote and just making it all work

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 5 22:43:20 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 05:05 PM, David Sims wrote:
> From: Michael T. Dean
>> On 02/05/2012 04:42 PM, David Sims wrote:
>>> (using mc2xml to
>>> download the program information each night and mythfilldatabase is ran
>>> afterwards.)
>> Please don't discuss mc2xml use on this list. Windows MCE listings
>> service and data is licensed only for use with Windows MCE
>> application, and can not be used with MythTV.
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/425109#425109
>
> Had no idea Mike.

Yeah, that's actually the worst part of mc2xml.  There are indications
that it's being used by a lot of people who don't actually realize that
doing so violates the license agreements involved.  I would expect this
is actually the case for most of the people who do use mc2xml (and I had
assumed was the case with your use of it).

Most seem to believe that because they paid for Windows MCE (or paid for
Windows 7 and got MCE with it), they paid for the data.  However, that's
not the case, as the license agreement states (in hard-to-read
legalese--in an agreement most don't even read, anyway).  And, as a
MythTV user who relies on the availability of listings data, I hope that
more of these people are eventually educated about the license so that
they become Schedules Direct members so that Schedules Direct has
sufficient income to continue to license listings data for
redistribution from Tribune Media Service.

>    Was looking for a free source or at least a testing
> source while I experiment with MythTV.
> Is there any other source I should be using?  It was never my intention to
> violate any licensing.

The "approved" solution is to use the 7-day free trial membership from
Schedules Direct ( http://schedulesdirect.org/ ).  With that free trial,
you will be able to download new listings data as required over a 7-day
period, and since MythTV (and most other approved applications) download
the full 2-week listings provided by Tribune Media Services, you can
actually stretch your initial testing out to 3 weeks without an
interruption in listings.

After that, if you're still not sure, you can try a 2-month membership
for $6, or just sign up for the full 1-year membership for $25.  (Note
that the price is $25 for an entire year--this isn't like your cable
company DVR listings fees that are more like $6-10/mo/DVR.)

Note that Schedules Direct seems to be the only source of licensed
program listings data available for open source and freeware
applications in North America.  And, IMHO, the $25 per year I spend on
the membership is money well spent--the listings service that's
available to Schedules Direct members is second to none.

Thanks,
Mike