[mythtv-users] spare backend for emergenciens

Kevin Johnson dabears_rule at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 19:29:30 UTC 2012

I have a dedicated backend with multiple frontends.
I use a hdhr for two of the four tuners.
I am running mythbuntu 24.2 fixes. (separate backend and frontends)

I travel quite frequently and my house is occupied by people who know little or nothing about computers or mythtv.
I want to have a spare backend setup to run in case my main backend goes down.
I will only use the spare backend in case the main backend goes down. It will only be used for sending the hdhr signal to the frontends scattered around the house.  No recordings or movies or anything. (the frontends are low powered machines)
Basically I want something that can be easily turned on in case of a server crash so people at the house can at least watch tv using the hdhr to the frontends.
What would be the simplest way to do this?
1.  Setup a backend on one of my frontends and "turn it on" in case the main backend fails?
2.  Setup a slave backend?
3.  Other options?

I would like something that is easily switched on by a novice user.

Thanks