[mythtv-users] The directory location of the storage group should be remembered for videos

Angela angela.schmid at wolke7.net
Mon Dec 31 19:43:16 UTC 2012

I have six disks with self-ripped DVD/Bluray and transformed recordings
which are all idle. To start each disk it takes about 5 seconds. If the
needed video is on the last disk, it takes 30 seconds and have 5 non needed
disks spinning for 10 minutes, bumping up the noise level.

The idea of storage groups is good, moving files around without scanning,
however to bust performance it would be preferable to save the directory
location (id) of the storage group with the scanned video.
When opening the video it should use the remembered directory location and
using the other locations of the storage group for fallback. Scanning videos
should update the latest directory location.

The directory locations cannot be sorted, so that I could set the least used
disks at the end.

I really hope this gets implemented in Mythtv as it bothers me heavily and I
am sure also for other users with many disks.
Should I make a feature request ? What are the chances it will be
implemented ?

Angela