[mythtv-users] jabber - is it being used by mythtv?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 31 17:12:42 UTC 2012

On 12/31/2012 11:46 AM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> I am running Mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25) as a backend.  I recently
> installed an untangle box to protect/control home internet use. In
> looking over some of the reports I see jabber being blocked from my
> myth backend, but I don't know what is using it.

When you say, "see jabber being blocked," do you mean you see
communications on a specific port being blocked or?  MythTV doesn't use
jabber, but it does use a bunch of network ports (in an
"unregistered"/not-standardized approach).

That said, TTBOMK (and according to my /etc/services), XMPP clients use
TCP and UDP port 5222 (and some people set it to use 5223 for XMPP+TLS)
and servers use TCP and UDP port 5269 and XMPP presence/link-local
messaging uses TCP and UDP port 5298.  I don't think MythTV uses any of
these ports.

Mike